Saturday, December 20, 2014

Something to ponder in all the busyness~


While most will be running from store to store today, finishing up their holiday shopping, I will be attending the funeral of a life taken too soon.  It really hits home this time of year.  The second year in a row I have had to witness a dear friend bury their beloved child.

That brings me to the question above.  What REALLY is important?  The perfectly decorated tree?  The perfect vignette for a blog post?  The perfect gift?  1000 followers?  I could go on and on.  It truly is something to ponder.

While I have enjoyed all the perfectly decorated trees, the holiday fashion posts, the yummy holiday recipes, the one thing I will take away from it all is that in the end...none of that matters the minute a loved one is taken from you.  Someone else is suffering, whether from illness, loss of a job, or being miles away from home.

So, this will be my last post prior to Christmas (not that I post everyday anyhow, only when I have time and feel it is something worth sharing).  I will be spending my time with loved ones, friends, and maybe even the stranger that just needs a smile or a door held for them.

I know beneath all that pretty, for some, is a whole different picture.  May we pray and remember those who are hurting or in need this season.

Merry Christmas Everyone! May God bless you in the New Year!!

8 comments:

Judy said...

well said lauren. i am so sorry for the loss of that family member...a few weeks ago our community lost 3 teenagers and 1 deputy sheriff in a senseless tragedy...only one person survived. it truly puts things into perspective.

like you, i enjoy seeing everything all decorated but wonder when "enough is enough" for some bloggers and it gets to be more of a competition than anything else.

hope you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Christmas season!

Laura said...

Merry Christmas, Lauren! I loved this post and you are exactly right! Prayers of comfort for your friend.

NanaDiana said...

Yes, Lauren, We have lived through those tough times of lives taken way too soon. God bless you and the families as you go through the upcoming Holidays- xo Diana

Karena said...

Dear Laura, I am so very sorry; and I do understand as we are driving 3 1/2 hours to a service for a dear cousin we lost very suddenly.

It gives one pause and suddenly I have no desire for any further shopping. The decor is done simply and I wish us all some semblance of peace and love.

xoxo
Karena
Tis the Sunday before Christmas

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

You're the sweetest. I'm sorry for your loss and I'll be praying for his family and yours as well. May the peace of Jesus that transcends all be with you. XO

Rustown Mom said...

Merry Christmas, Lauren, to you and all of yours. I am glad to have met you via the blog this year! I thought of you and your daughter when we drove through an empty campus last night, admiring the green and gold of Pat Neff Hall. I hope the New Year brings you peace and happiness and a few extra hugs from your dear ones!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Beautiful post Lauren and so true. Have a very Merry Christmas with your hubby and beautiful girls!

Gypsy Heart said...

You are so right, Lauren! My heart goes out to this family. It's a devastating experience to lose a child/grandchild. I will continue to hold all of you in prayer.

xo
Pat